First-Year Learning Communities
What is a First-Year Learning Community (FLC)?
- FLCs are two classes that are taught together around a theme
- FLCs explore connections between the two areas and how they intersect and connect
- One of the classes is a Seminar (a small class with a theme)
- The Seminar is linked with a course that’s part of UNM Core
- These classes are taught using cooperative and collaborative learning methods that engage you as an active, involved learner, with a minimum of “lecture”
- The discussions, readings, problems, papers and presentations of the Seminar and the linked course are integrated and unified
- Each class holds up to 25 students
A set of courses are offered in Spring and are called Learning Communities. These courses are open to all students and is a great way to prepare to transition from second semester to your second year.